Sunday, March 16, 2008

just because they're decorative doesn't mean they're not sharp

Feeling wonderfully caffeine - crash at the moment.

I finished studying for the British History midterm (which, incidentally, I'm going to beat into submission rather handily). So that's pretty nice. I also got an email from my French professor, telling me that I got an A on my presentation. Good stuff.

Concerns *do* include the fact that I have 200 pages to read and a response to write for tomorrow afternoon, and a two-hour movie to watch in less than two hours. Interesting, ja?

My hair is finally long enough to twist into a figure-eight, which is the first step to the day when I say "this is too long, time to cut it off again." That will be -- the end of the summer, I think. August? September?

God, I'll be turning twenty in the fall. I don't feel like I've come through two whole decades of life. Maybe I'll do a year-by-year recap later on.

I studied in the MacGregor room today, which *always* makes me feel better about school. It's just such a nice place to work -- dim chandeliers accompanied by task lighting, wide tables that you can really spread your books across, poofy armchairs, and mahogany floor-to-ceiling bookcases. I mostly go there to hibernate and study for midterm / finals that are in extensive essay form, so for me I associate the place with Buddhism exams, Environmental History research papers, Western Civ reading response tests, and now British History midterms.

I don't know what else to say. I'm so invested in riding right now. Little Andi mentioned that someone she knows is looking for extra people to come up to Culpeper and help their horses learn how to trail ride at all four gaits (walk, trot, canter, and gallop -- slow, jogging, running, and sprinting, for you non-horse people) over the summer. I told her I'd love to do it, I mean, provided the horses aren't insane. I told her to ask around about a grooming job for me.

We took Pepsi and Coco out for a gallop across the boys' field today. My horse can *move*. Speaking of which. News of the ownership transfer (from Jessica to me) has started to spread around the barn, and I really wasn't expecting the reactions I've been getting. I mean, a polite congratulations is one thing, but multiple hugs? Impromptu equitation and tack etiquette lessons? I always get a little embarassed when people at the barn tell me how talented, devoted, impressive, etc. I am. I mean, it's nice to be among people who appreciate your passions, but I don't ride because I feel like an immensely talented person who deigns to get on her horse once in awhile. I would rather that people compliment Pepsi, because he's such an accomplished little horse and he's tolerated so much crazy, silly experimentation from me. I ride because he lets me, and because I can.

aaaanyway. Moving on mildly. It's too hot in my room (as always) and I am getting all yawny and not-working. I think it's time to lie down and plan how I'll get a plurality of things done tomorrow.

No comments: