Wednesday, February 13, 2008

your brown skin shining in the sun

http://www.twloha.com

When I hear about things like this I scrutinize the mission statement. I look for gentility, intensity, humane methodology, courage / an absence of fear, and a true desire to reach out to people. More than anything, I want to see patience, an understanding that forced treatment / rehabilitation will terrorize someone who's already vulnerable, sometimes beyond belief.

I respect this project. I'm much more romanced by grassroots organizing, as opposed to institutionalized branching-out. For one, I don't trust the medicinal systems in this country (usually for other reasons but also for things like mandatory therapy). For another, I happen to believe that people who start grassroots movements do so for reasons that are personal as well as social/political. They're on the ground and they often have firsthand experience with their issues. This usually prevents them from acting like total fuckups.

I respect it, but I find it a little self-serving and more than a little divisive. I'm also not comfortable with ... I can't put my finger on it. I won't be writing "love" on my arms tomorrow. I will take note of people who do, and people who can't. And that's all.

reading: The Jews of The United States // Hasa Diner
listening to : Teenage Dirtbag // The Hullabahoos

No comments: