Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I can dim the lights and sing you songs full of sad things

Parce que l’ennui de Jérôme et Sylvie se tourne sur le matérialisme, il est à la fois un symbole et un symptôme d’un plus grand mal dans la société contemporaine. Selon Perec, ce besoin de se soutenir avec les choses est un problème parce que les choses matérielles ne peuvent pas provider le bonheur concrète.
[translates as]
Because the "ennui" from which Jérôme and Sylvie suffer turns upon the axis of materialism, it is at once a symbol and a symptom of a greater evil in their societal experience. In Perec's opinion, this need to underlay/support oneself with mere things is a problem, because material things can never provide a solid happiness.

That's the paragraph I'm working on right now. We're at the bottom of page three (out of four) THANK GOD. This paper, like so many French papers before it and oh so oh so many to come, is making me want to drown myself in the shower. I don't know why I can handle papers in English with such finesse and French papers drive me up the fucking wall, but that's the way it is.

On the bright side, I'm only a paragraph and a half away from calling it a night (about another half hour), and J. made me a squid! I love it. My reward for finishing this paper of ennui/death, aside from the excellent reward of collapsing into sleep, will be to name the squid and to title the blank CD that B. is going to fill for me.

I've got a few ideas about both but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

listening to: only the good die young // billy joel
reading: redaction 2 -- l'ennui comparitif selon Zola (La Curee) et Perec (Les Choses)

No comments: