Tuesday, April 1, 2008

we'll become silhouettes when our bodies finally go

I grow increasingly concerned about my weight. Actually, more the distribution of weight across my frame and how that affects what I do. I've been sitting on my butt far too much since last fall (and counting riding as "exercise," which is particularly is not) and since I won't eat dining hall food often but I'm low on money, my eating habits have become unscrupulous and ridiculous.

I'm going to make a point here: I don't agree that women should feel compelled to reach a "magic" size or weight just to uphold the standards of the patriarchy. That won't get anyone a partner / job / real respect in life / anything that actually matters. Be your size and raise your standards, ladies.

I still reserve the right to determine my own size, though. I don't think that's an unreasonable demand for a girl who is an athlete, a young student, and a patriarchy-blamer. And if I don't see myself reflecting my personal size standard, I reserve the right to push myself toward that in a health-positive way. Life's too short (and we're too capable) to be unhappy.

That sounds fancy, and nice, but the translation from idea to action is always slightly difficult. Maybe I'll go running (with my new headphones!) and think about that.

reading: les choses // georges calec
listening to : keep it loose, keep it tight // amos lee

No comments: